Sunday, October 11, 2009

Finishing 10 with a Grin

I've hit double digits! This weekend's run was a 10-miler. Not only did I finish it, but I managed to finish with a smile.

This week included some really weird weather. It started out fairly nice and ending up fairly...freezing. I was in Decatur over the weekend for my some family events so I decided to take advantage of the lake there for some picturesque scenery during my run. It was a good idea. Too bad Mother Nature had other ideas. A cold front had moved in Friday night and when I woke up early Saturday morning, the fog was so thick that I couldn't even see the lake until after mile 5.

A super-huge shout out goes to my mom this week. She woke up with me before the sun came up and drove me to a drop-off point. She then drove to a point several miles away to take my jacket and take photos. AND... she was there at mile 8 with sports drink before she picked me up at the end and took me for breakfast afterward. Another shout-out goes to my friend Gail (Gail #2). Decatur Gail allowed me to stop by early Saturday morning for some water and to warm up in her nice warm house.

After leaving Gail's house, the fog started to evaporate and I had a beautiful 5 miles to run. The view was a lot more attractive than I was at that point but that wasn't much of a surprise. For a couple miles I was wishing I had my jacket on again but I soon enough the sun warmed me.

Now that I had finished my 10 miles, the hard part of my day was about to begin. I was off to a 3-year-old's birthday party. Now THAT I barely got through alive. (Brag point - my Mickey Mouse Clubhouse viewfinder was a favorite gift of said 3-year-old.)

That night I went to bed at 9:30 and slept for the next 11 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment