Saturday, January 16, 2016

Dopey Adventure, Day 4

We had to get up even earlier now for the last 3 races.


It was raining.

My alarm went off at 3:00 and I soon learned that the thunderstorm that had come through the previous night was not yet done with us. I slipped out of bed as quietly as possible as not to disturb Ashley and Paul and got dressed in the bathroom. I grabbed a couple of ponchos from my suitcase for Dan and I and we headed to the bus for day 2.

Before the 10K 


The wait for the race to start seemed interminable. With rain falling around us, it was not much fun standing around. And it made my porta potty stop even less fun than normal. Do you know how hard it is to pull up wet CWX compression tights? It's not easy, let me tell you. Finally it was time to go to our corrals. The wait for corral D to get started seemed so long. Once we started, I peeled off the poncho thinking it was going to be too hot to run in. Thankfully, running in the rain wasn't as miserable and standing in the rain waiting to run.

The race was another fun one. After the first couple of miles of plain roadway, we made our way into Epcot's World Showcase and then onto the Boardwalk before finishing in the Epcot parking lot. I didn't get any character pics this time but did stop several times to take some photos.
There's just something cool about running through Epcot before the sun comes up.

It's so weird to be here when the park is closed.

We hit the Boardwalk at sunrise. It would be been beautiful if it wasn't overcast and raining.

It's so rainy here that my photo is blurry!
I found Dan at our meeting spot and we took off. It had started to rain harder so we just wanted to get back. As Dan got up, he was limping pretty badly. I eyed his leg and he assured me it was just a cramp and it just needed to loosen up. In any event, race 2 was done.

Race #2 done.


Back to the resort for showers and dry clothes. Dan was hurting pretty bad so he decided to stay put and ice his leg. Wendy and I had fast passes at Animal Kingdom. Ashley and Paul had to go get their race packets at the expo and then wanted to check out Disney Springs so we split up. It was still raining when we got to Animal Kingdom, arguably the worst park to be at in the rain since most everything is outside.Wendy and I waited under a shelter for a while and checked our app to see if Expedition to Everest, the roller coaster we had fast passes for, was still running. It was. We decided we were going to be wet anyway, we might as well be wet on a roller coaster. We used our fast passes and noticed that the standby line wasn't that long. People must have been afraid of rain. So we rode it again. And again. And again. And again. By this time, the rain had cleared up so we grabbed some lunch at the Harumbi Marketplace and then headed back to the resort.

A little rain is not gonna keep us from the roller coasters.

The sun had come out so I sat by the pool for a while and just chilled out. I was determined to not put as many miles on my feet this day in preparation for the next morning's half marathon. Dan was in a lot of pain and said he'd probably have to pull out of the remaining races. We told him to think about it a bit more before making any decisions. Dan and Wendy decided to just order pizza up to their room so Ashley, Paul and I went down to the restaurant and had an early dinner before heading up to our room to lay out our stuff for the next morning. Dan was still thinking he couldn't run anymore so we told him to sleep on it and decide for sure in the morning. The rest of us turned in for the night.

My mileage for the day: 14.6 miles. But 6.2 of these were for the race so really all I walked was 8.4 miles. Progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment