Monday, January 4, 2016

I Run for Alexandra

One of the things I miss most since I've adopted a rather hectic schedule (1 full time job, 2 part time jobs, and training for Dopey) is devoting time to volunteering. I really enjoy doing volunteer work and have been involved in some type almost as long as I can remember. But in the last couple of years, I was forced to scale some things back and sadly, volunteering was one of them. Until a couple of months ago.

Last summer I had the honor of working with a new customer who had come into Fleet Feet. It was her first time shopping with us and I was doing a fit for her when I noticed her really cool socks. I commented on them and she said they were her favorites because she had gotten them by doing a race for her "buddy". She went on to explain that she volunteers for an organization called I Run 4. The organization matches up runners with buddies for whom they dedicate their running miles. When you run, you are part of a team with your buddy and you are helping them run virtual miles. It started out as an organization that would run for people who, for whatever reason, were not able to physically run themselves but really wanted to be part of something. The group has since expanded to a siblings group. This group runs for a sibling of a child who has some physical or developmental challenges. The idea is that the siblings of these children often need to relinquish some attention to their sibling that needs the extra care and attention. The I Run 4 group allows runners like me to share part of my life and my training with someone who could use an extra friend. This is the group that spoke to me.

I didn't want to start anything I couldn't do well so after visiting the website, I took a couple of days to think about it. If I was going to do this, I wanted to be "all in," as they say. I came to the conclusion that this was the right opportunity for me. This was a meaningful way I could do something for someone else, even with the kind of schedule that I balance these days. So in August, I asked to be a volunteer runner and I was matched with new buddy Alexandra.


 
First day of 4th grade - my buddy and I appear to share the same kind of swagger.





Someone's excited for the concert!

 Alexandra lives in Canada. She's in 4th grade and has 2 sisters. She likes taking dance classes and comes from an Italian family. We have a lot in common - I was a dancer for years too and with a name like Rinchiuso, my Italian roots are fairly obvious. I write Alexandra several times a week, telling her how many miles I ran for her that day and what I've been up to. I send pictures whenever I can and she does the same. I got to see her Halloween costume and when she got to go to a One Direction concert. I sent her photos of the cranberries I made at Thanksgiving and the family selfie I took at Christmas. She knows I'm training for Dopey and she's cheering me on from afar. I will think of her as I'm running those 48.6 miles this week and will picture her smile when things get tough.

I am proud to run for Alexandra. So far I've run just a little over 400 miles for her and hope to run many, many more in the years to come!

*I Run 4 is always looking for people to match up with buddies. Even though most volunteers are runners, you can dedicate any sort of activity to a buddy. If you're interested in volunteering as a runner/athlete, visit the I Run 4 website. These days, my involvement with this organization is less about volunteering and more about making a new friend! I encourage you to get involved and do the same.*

** photos posted with permission from Alexandra's mom**

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I came across your blog after looking for Dopey blog coverage. Then I saw your I Run 4 blog post and got so excited! I've been matched with my buddy from I Run 4 for over two years and I LOVE that organization. It's awesome! I'm glad I came across your blog. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete