Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Got a light?

Marathoners suffer a variety of indignities. There's the chafing scars, the losing of the toenails and the sports-bra induced uni-boob. And now I can add another to the list: the head lamp. See my mother is not particularly thrilled with me running alone in the dark so when we were shopping at Eddie Bauer several weeks ago and she saw this lighted contraption she decided that was exactly what I needed. This fashionable device is comprised of an elastic band attached to a 2 inch LED light. The light, I soon discovered, has 4 settings 1) bright white LED lights, 2) brighter white LED lights, 3) red LED lights, and 4) blinking red LED lights. The last setting makes it appear as if I'm trying to land a 747. (Side note: the item was advertised as a "climbing light." I'm not sure who rock climbs in the dark but apparently Eddie Bauer customers can be a thrill-seeking bunch.)

So tonight I wore my head lamp for the first time. Early in my run I passed by a couple on their evening stroll. As it wasn't quite dark-dark yet, I could see the expressions on their faces. The woman's eyes immediately darted to my forehead where a bright beam of light was protruding like the horn of an enchanted unicorn. At this point, my inner monologue went something like this: "Hi. How are you this evening? This? Oh, well this is the latest in cranial illumination technology. You can get one too. All it will cost you is $20 and your dignity."

It turns out that lots of people are concerned with my running in the dark. Friends have suggested affixing reflective tape to my shirt and wearing a reflective vest. Of course, mom contributed the infamous head lamp. A coworker even wished aloud for a big, strong man to run with me. I pointed out that if he was big and strong, he probably wasn't very fast. She conceded my point.

I made it safely home after my innagural lighted run. I don't know how many runs will find me wearing the head lamp but if you happen to see a small light bobbing up and down along the side of the road while you're driving please slow down!

No comments:

Post a Comment