Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The rubber met the road a little too often


I've been training for this marathon now for approximately 62 years. Well, actually it's more like 11 weeks but it feels the same to me. In that time, I've spent what must equal the gross national product of a small country. In addition to running shoes and enough sports drink to fill a bathtub, I've purchased things reflective and illuminated, things warm and moisture wicking, things nutrient replacing and pain relieving. This is not to mention the small fortune I'm currently paying off to actually travel to the marathon and a place to sleep while I'm there. So imagine my shock and disgust when I discovered that I was going to have to buy a 2nd pair of running shoes too.

It turns out my body has outlasted my Nikes. After just 6 months, my shoes have gone from nicely broken in to embarassingly broken down. The soles have worn away, the cushiong has worn out and it appears that half the heel has mysteriously disappeared. After exhausting the shoe stores in town (Seriously, a town this size needs more shoe stores. We are pediatorially deprived here!), I finally found my perfect pair at a Nike outlet store an hour and half away. The photo shows my worn out shoes and what shoes should look like.

So now I have my new kicks. Maybe these will be kinder to my toenails...

No comments:

Post a Comment