Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mother Nature - you will not defeat me!

Winter has arrived. Yeah, I'm not thrilled either. I do realize that I've been incredibly lucky so far, weatherwise. Running this many miles in winter, the odds are not good that one will be comfortable but so far, so good. Then this week came. A huge storm swept through the Midwest this week. With multiple inches of snow forecast for the area, Runner Wendy and I decided it was best to get our mid-week 9-mile run out of the way Tuesday morning instead of Wednesday morning in order to get out ahead of the storm. Unfortunately I had run almost 5 miles Monday night.

Tuesday morning was still and snow-covered. This was our first run through the snow. With my previous run only 12 hours earlier, I was pretty tired when we started. The 9 miles seemed to go pretty slowly. Probably because we were running slowly. In any event we needed to find a way to pass the time. Luckily, the snow on the trail gave us a welcome distraction. Seeing the footprints and paw prints in the snow, we noticed lots of little details. We noticed a man with some kind of traction device in the heel of his shoe had gone for a walk. A dog was slightly dragging its left paw as he walked. A child cut across the trail to walk to school. And a lone biker was crazy enough to go for a ride that morning before dawn.

Another thing that helped pass the time - a quick calculation. In the last 72 hours, I've run 32 miles. Guess that means it's time for bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment